Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Podcast Readings

I read the following two articles regarding podcasting: Listening to Themselves:Podcasting Takes Lessons Beyond the Classroom & What Has Podcasting Done for You?: Great Things Often Begin in Small Ways. The first article talked about the importance of teaching students how to communicate and refine their speaking skills. I think that having students do podcasts will force them to think more critically about what they are saying and how they are saying it. What a great motivator for students! It is also a nice change of pace from having students create videos or powerpoint presentations where they often focus more on the images, costumes, or slide transitions than the actual content. The podcast is a great way to assess students on their speaking skills without other things getting in their way.

The other article I read talked about a school where students were responsible for creating podcasts for the daily announcements. It is a nice way for students to take ownership and pride in their school community while working on their speaking skills.

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, I agree! I think my students often get caught up on the visual part of their projects so much that the content is lacking...

    I like the idea of having kids create podcasts for school announcements. Our students announcements are slightly random and this might make them more well-organized and purposeful.

    ( :

    -Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you about the announcements. They could definitely use fine tuning in most schools.
    -Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea about announcements but sometimes get worried about time...how long would it take students to do this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also think that when students are engaged in speaking about their work the content is superior and they will actually learn and retain more.

    ReplyDelete