Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Digital Storytelling

I think the use of these new technologies has the potential to really enhance the classroom, but I liked that the articles also recognized that the trial and error method will be necessary at the beginning. I like the idea of piloting these new technologies with one class and then tweaking them as needed for future use.

Another important piece with using these more creativity based assignments is making sure to give students freedom while also finding a way to hold them accountable.

4 comments:

  1. I sometimes get nervous doing really creative projects because I have found that content is sometimes forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your idea of piloting stuff like this. Giving teachers the time to try it out, apply it to their curriculum, then having the chance to share it with teachers at their grade level or at a staff mtg. Unless things like this have prof. development time set aside for us to really get the work done, I don't feel like it's very realistic for me to actually end up using it!

    ( :

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be an interesting challenge I think to try to come up with a rubric for what quality work is using these tools. How applicable, for example is a rubric that an English teacher might use for a writing assignment to the production of a digital story? I am not a classroom teacher so I am asking this in the abstract, but your concern for accountability seems an important one. Am I right that your use of the word "accountability" has to do with the need for teachers to be able to make judgments about the quality of student work in an objective and coherent way?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello

    Yes, I'd love to see what High Schoolers would do with this stuff! It would seem to allow room for creativity and also a more exciting arena for drafts and edits etc. Muy bien!

    ReplyDelete